29 May 2012

the continuing saga

i was ready to do something about transitioning the gray to the brown.

here are some reference photos from the late 80s/early 90s. i thought that this was a path i would never again follow....


well, here we go again.....

having never had "highlights" in my life, i didn't know what to expect. the lovely young woman at the salon said "we'll put a few highlights in on the top of your head and then in 2 months we'll do it again and the color will be almost white". sounded reasonable. i didn't know that highlights meant that 50-70% of my hair would be BLOND.
the people in my life who think that letting the gray grow in is a BAD IDEA (there are quite a few) are thinking this is a perfectly good alternative. me? not so much, but if i don't want to burn my hair off entirely i have to live with it for awhile....

7 comments:

Liz Woodbury said...

hey, WHO thinks it's a bad idea? you know how excited i am about it. it's going to be gorgeous. and i actually think the blonde (it's not 80s blonde, it's much more subtle) makes sense, because the contrast is gentler. before you know it, it'll all be grown out and so pretty.

holly kellogg said...

after 2 days of adjustment time i am seeing the logic of a lighter haircolor....
ps-i KNOW you (and a couple others) think it's a good idea and that has been SO HELPFUL, i can't even tell you! most people around here are skeptical....

Liz Woodbury said...

sillies.

Barb Fernald said...

I like it! I think it makes sense to have the brown lightened a bit. I am SO happy to have let my color grow out. What freedom! But I do remember worrying about the people who thought it was not a good idea. Now, they don't mention it or they say they actually like it. Yours is beautiful and it's just going to keep getting prettier!

holly kellogg said...

wait till you see it...i'm not adjusting very well. i feel like i'm in costume every time i look in the mirror. it is SO not what i intended.
you and all my other sweet supportive friends are keeping me going!

Heather said...

It really doesn't look all that different to me from the first picture . . .

The other option, of course, is to cut it off . . . you could do it all asymmetrical and then REALLY flash back to the 80's!

Barb Fernald said...

I agree with Heather. It probably looks way more different to you, and not so different to the rest of us. Oh hair. I bet we all spend more time disliking our hair than liking it. What I still find weird is when I pick up white hairs from the floor or the furniture. It has taken me almost 2 years to stop wondering who they came from!