07 January 2011

well, hello there

the last month of 2010 was pretty hairy.
when we last were together, here on the blog, i was in the hospital with my mother, who had peumonia. when i got back to connecticut i got a stomach bug and a few days later my sweet little girl got a mysterious ailment with high fever and a variety of other symptoms (turned out to be mono). then i was trying to get ready for the holidays and then the holidays.....and blogging just got away from me.
i've been missing the studio a lot...an unusually heavy work load paired with the absence of my usual 4 or 5 GREAT ideas for jewelry constantly rolling around in my head has made for a pretty creatively sparse few months.
a couple of my students asked me to donate some jewelry for a fundraiser for their spring trip to Nicaragua to build houses. i gave them a pair of earrings from the inventory and then another pair that i made specially from my (finally!) successful experience with keum-boo, argentium scribble beads (finally an idea for that super skinny wire i bought by accident) and freshwater pearls. sorry, no time for pics. when i was getting them all packaged up and ready to go i realized that i was out of the care cards i usually print out by hand and then hand-trim to the right size. while i was madly rushing around trying to make some more i realized...HOW DUMB. there are companies out there that specialize in reasonably priced printing!!!!
so i spent a couple hours last night downloading fonts and re-creating my logo from scratch (no original copies available on any of the computers i use) and putting together some moo minicards.
business cards....



care cards that can double as hangtags, if necessary (with room to hand-write the specific materials in each piece of jewelry)....

and earring cards....

the fact that my ideas weren't accomodated by their extensive template options meant that i had to spend a significant amount of time designing JUST how i wanted things layed out in Adobe Illustrator. Then i saved the documents as pdfs and uploaded to moo. time consuming, but now they look just the way i want.....
can't wait for them to get here now!
oh yeah...happy new year....wishing everyone a creative and fulfilling year ahead!

3 comments:

Liz Woodbury said...

i hope you're all feeling MUCH better now. i can't wait to see your finished moo cards! i'm always almost making moo cards and then not doing it, but i love the way they look.

Barb Fernald said...

Wow you have had a rough month. I hope everyone is on the mend. You are so smart to make care cards for your jewelry. Something buyers will keep handy, and it has your contact info! You are way ahead of me.
I can't wait to see your Moo cards. I think they have a pretty easy site top work with. I also can't wait to see what a scribble bead is. I'm envious of your ability to create a new logo from scratch. Or any logo for that matter. I have logo envy!
xoxo

holly kellogg said...

barb...i like my logo a lot...i might be TOO sentimentally attached to it. i honestly don't think it reflects the style of my jewelry very well...
lizzie...make the moo cards! milo in maine definitely needs a few!
xoxo